This evolving list includes resources I have either used and loved or feel strongly confident about based on research and trusted recommendations.
Natural stain and urine odor cleaner
Fizzion Pet Stain and Odor Cleaner, with spray bottle: Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy says this works best for removing urine smell.
Nature’s Miracle is the enzyme cleaner I use for stains and odors, however the fragrance seems to have changed for the worse over the years. With the exception of their hardwood floor solution — that one doesn’t smell like a fake perfume.
Beneficial supplements for cats
- Probiotics: Pet Flora (High success rate in resolving pet digestion problems – vomiting, irritable bowel, etc. See Vitality Science website.) Doesn’t require refrigeration.
- Probiotics + Enzymes: Wholistic Feline Digest Plus (powdered form). Overall great probiotic-enzyme product for cat digestion and wellbeing that happens to include two probiotics known to support kidney health. (I recommended keeping it in the refrigerator as often as possible to keep the microbes alive.)
- Probiotics for Kidney Disease: Azodyl Renal Function Support. Veterinary probiotic supplement for cats and dogs with kidney disease. This is a premium-priced product, often prescribed by vets. The positive reviews are encouraging if you have a CKD cat.
- Enzymes to Add to Cat Food: NUSENTIA Enzyme Miracle. Great to use if you can’t feed raw food! Most of the power of raw food is in the enzymes that would otherwise be destroyed by cooking.
- Iceland Pure Unscented Sardine-Anchovy Oil (designed for pets)
- Nordic Natural Omega-3 Pet fish oil (designed for pets)
- Carlson fish oil (also for humans)
- BioSuperfood or BioPreparation (microalgae with anti-inflammatory properties and a reputation for helping with all kinds of cat illness)
Safest soap if you must(!) bathe your cat
Easy grow cat grass
Cat behaviorists who can consult by phone
Holistic vets you can consult with by phone
See the current list here.
Other cat vets we love
Great sites for researching cat health issues
See my favorite list here.
Natural cat care books
- Your Cat: Simple New Secrets for a Longer, Stronger Life, Ground-breaking cat nutrition book! Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM (Tip: You can peek at it online for free here. Note that this is not a natural care book though. Only the nutrition focus is “natural.”)
- The Natural Cat: The Comprehensive Guide to Optimum Care (Great overall resource)
- The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care: An Illustrated Handbook (Helpful nutrition and basic care book)
- Dr. Pitcairn’s New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats (Very comprehensive–but not totally focused on cats; a bit too carb-friendly food-wise)
- Whole Health For Happy Cats (Nice overall resource with helpful color photos)
- What Cats Should Eat: How to Keep Your Cat Healthy with Good Food Kindle by Jean Hofve, DVM (Answers just about every question you might have when it comes to cat food)
- A Ragdoll Kitten Care Guide: Bringing Your Ragdoll Kitten Home [Kindle Edition]: Though focused on Ragdoll cats, this little guide is helpful for any new kitten parent. Author Jenny Dean’s advice is insightful, practical, focused on natural solutions, and full of product and resource tips.
Natural flea control
- Natural Flea Control for Cats –my article on safe flea removal and prevention
Book to give or read after the loss of a beloved cat
Soul Comfort for Cat Lovers: Coping Wisdom for Heart and Soul after the Loss of a Beloved Feline