Updated Nov 12, 2012 (changes in red)
A very big thank you to everyone who has visited the Today’s Best Cat foods pages and suggested foods to investigate.
I have been trying to keep up behind the scenes—even resorting to Excel spreadsheets for tracking. (Confession: I hate spreadsheets—I know, what a baby!)
Without further ado…
10 additional canned and raw foods
These are the new foods you’ll now see on the Today’s Best Cat foods page:
- Bravo Balance Raw
- Primal Freeze Dried Raw (must add water)
- Addiction – carrageenan-free formulas only: Duck, Venison, Buffalo, Rabbit, Turkey
- Hound & Gatos canned
- Soulistic canned (carrageenan-free formulas only)
- Stellas Freeze Dried Raw (must add water)
- Pure Vita canned
- SOJOS Freeze Dried Raw (must add water)
- PAW NATURAW
- Weruva Grain Free Pouches
A few cat foods didn’t make it
There were a few brought to my attention that didn’t make it. For more about prior foods that didn’t make it and why, see this post.
Runners up (one iffy ingredient)
- BFF canned (made by Weruva): (most formulas have carrageenan, but go with Tuna & Chicken and Tuna & Pumpkin, which are carrageenan- free; also all formulas have tuna–I wouldn’t want to feed tuna everyday because of toxins that accumulate in large fish)
- Earthborn Holistic, grain-free canned: (carrageenan) also has the controversial Menadione Sodium Bisulfite
- Fussie Cat, grain-free formulas: (this product may turn out OK, but it’s not clear yet if their “gelling agent” is carrageenan. They were using a food color preservative too, but claim to have stopped. See a great investigative post about Fussie cat here on About.com.)
Others requested but rejected
- Petguard Organic Chicken and Vegetables canned: (grains)
- Solid Gold Gourmet canned : (grains and carrageenan)
- Dry cat food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Management: (carbs are way too high! ~44%)
- Dry cat food: California Natural Grain Free: (carbs too high ~29%)
- Dry cat food: Earthborn Holistic Feline Vantage (with grains): (grains; carbs too high ~28%) (Just to confuse matters, Earthborn also has a grain-free dry that is OK)
See pictures and more about the “winning” foods on Today’s Best Cat foods.
From our cats to yours: Bon appetit!